Our guild members have been trapped at home due to successive ice and snow storms. Just stepping out your front door can be hazardous. When poised with the question…What are you doing to offset winter cabin fever, I got some interesting replies.
Jill visited the RBG to study Snow Fleas. No joke. They really do exist!
Our spinners, Jessie and Pat, kept busy creating beautiful coloured yarn and of course knitting. Shawls, socks and mits will be the result.
Louise experimented with needle punch embroidery.
She was also inspired by a article in Handwoven… and is now winding a warp to create her version of the scarf using 2/60 bamboo silk.
Lynn, one of our past members now living out West, reports that she has just finished a quilt top for her sister’s wedding in September. The floral pattern is a great antidote for Cabin Fever. She has also been weaving tea towels and stitching.
Barb and I have been experimenting with weave structures…..Boulevard Weave and Deflected Double Weave. Both of us wondered what happened if you altered our tie ups.
Here is a detailed description of Barb’s Boulevard Weave study. The results were well worth spending time under her loom to change the tie ups..
”Dr. William Bateman’s Boulevard Weave has been on my to-do list for a long time. On Ravelry a while ago I came across a photo and description of some Boulevard Weave tea towels that were very interesting. The weaver had been inspired by drafts #606 and 607 in “A Weaver’s Book of 8-Shaft Patterns”, and so I decided to try it out for myself. The warp and pattern wefts are 2/8 Cotton, and I used 2/16 for the tabby. I followed draft #607 for the first two towels, which resulted in a 7-end float. I wasn’t too concerned about the float length, as I figured it would only measure about ¼” after finishing (and I was right on), but decided anyway to try and change the tie-up to shorten the floats. With the help of Fiberworks I was able to come up with an alternative which worked well. On weaving the 3rd towel I noticed columns forming, which resulted in a different look, and so I used a solid colour next which emphasized the columns even more.
I had enough warp left for one more towel, and so got under the loom (again!) and tied up #606. The black and white illustration in the book looked like birch trees to me, so I used charcoal for the pattern weft. After finishing though I thought it looked more like stacked rocket ships or maybe even robots – shades of “Star Wars”. If you squint properly, you can still see birch trees.”
My Deflected Double weave experiments were less dramatic. I think if I tied on different colours the changes would stand out more. The black square changed positions. I did not change the treadling so possibly other patterns could result. I am debating tieing on another warp….who knows what the results will be.